Elderly Care in Bronxville NY
The back and neck pain associated with scoliosis can make it very difficult for older adults to comfortably fall asleep at night. This is because of the abnormal curve if the spine. An elderly care provider may be necessary to help your loved one with their everyday tasks due to the pain they may be feeling with scoliosis. Not every adult will have the same symptoms, but if your aging parent is having a problem sleeping due to their scoliosis symptoms, here are a few tips to help them get a good night’s sleep.
- Get a new mattress. If the mattress is not providing the support the elder’s back needs, it may be time to get a new one. The mattress should provide support and comfort, which most mattresses lose after being used for years. Purchase one that will support their back’s neutral position.
- Sleep on the side or back. The neck and back pain could get worse if the elder with scoliosis sleeps on their stomach because the natural curve of the spine may be pushed out of alignment, increasing the abnormal curve of the spine. The best sleep positions are on the side or back. Most people with this condition have a slight hunch back deformity because of the curved spine. Sleeping on their back will help reduce the spine’s roundness. Placing a pillow between their legs may help your loved one become more comfortable also.
- Use a supportive pillow. A supportive pillow will provide pain relief to the head and neck of people with scoliosis. When shopping for a new pillow, avoid purchasing a large one because it could push the head forward when the older adult is lying on their back. This could push the spine out of alignment, make it difficult to breathe, and increase the amount of neck pain the elder is feeling.
- Use a mattress topper. A mattress topper that is between one and three inches thick is essential for the treatment of scoliosis. If it is any thicker than three inches, the spine and neck will not get the support it needs, increasing the pain in these areas. Look for a mattress topper that is made of breathable cotton or wool, latex, or coconut oil in order to keep their body cool.
Scoliosis can be a painful condition to go through, but these tips will help your loved one get the sleep they need without any tension on the neck or back. Your loved one’s doctor will also be able to provide you with sleeping and treatment ideas to help the elder cope with this condition.
If you or an aging loved one are looking for elderly care in Bronxville, NY, call the friendly staff at The Perfect Home Care at (855) 855-5728. Call today!
Latest posts by Geralyn DiGiovanni, Manager, Client Services (see all)
- How Can You Tell When Your Elderly Loved One Really Can’t Live on Her Own Any Longer? - May 12, 2017
- Four Age-related Vision Problems in Seniors - April 14, 2017
- 5 Things to Know About Occupational Therapy - April 7, 2017