Senior Care in Eastchester NY
October is Emotional Wellness Month. This is the ideal opportunity for you as a family caregiver to work with your aging parent to make sure that they are keeping their emotional and mental health as high as possible. Supporting these elements of their health and wellbeing is a vital element of protecting them from serious consequences and a reduced quality of life. By understanding the concept of emotional wellness you can take meaningful steps to help your parent have the best emotional wellness possible throughout their later years.
Basic elements of emotional wellness include:
- Being aware of and attentive to thoughts, feelings, and behaviors no matter if they are positive or negative
- Being able to get in tune with and accept feelings and stop denying or avoiding them
- Engaging in an optimistic viewpoint to life
- Being able to overlook the frustrations and letdowns that can occur throughout life and still be able to enjoy life despite these issues
- Being able to make decisions that are right for you based on personal beliefs, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions
- Develop and maintain relationships that are positive for your life and that are built on a sense of respect, trust, and devotion to each other
- Be willing to take on challenges and feel confident enough to overcome those challenges or at least put in the best effort that you can
- Be willing to take risks with enough optimism to believe that you can manage those risks and potentially gain benefit from them
- Accepting that conflict occurs in life and that these conflicts are not always inherently unhealthy, but that can be a valuable part of relationships and decision-making
- Being able to take personality responsibility for all of your own decisions and actions in such a way that is beneficial to you and to those around you
- Finding ways to make your life rewarding and enriching that are personal to you and do not require the input or influence of others
- Being able to accept that you will make mistakes and that those mistakes can be used as a lesson to help you get through life in a more effective, fulfilling, and emotionally well manner
- Being able to maintain as much physical and emotional independence as possible while still understanding, accepting, and appreciating the help and support that others are willing to offer
Starting senior care for your elderly parent is a fantastic way to help them pursue better emotional wellness throughout their later years. Having a senior home care services provider in the home with your aging parent is a wonderful way to ensure that they get the care, support, encouragement, and assistance that they need to keep them feeling safe, healthy, comfortable, and engaged as they age in place. When it comes to your parent’s need for emotional wellness, this care provider can give your parent the support and companionship that they need to accept their emotions, approach their emotional needs honestly, and take steps to keep their mental and emotional health as high as possible.
If you or an aging loved one are looking for senior care in Eastchester, NY, call the friendly staff at The Perfect Home Care at (855) 855-5728. Call today!
- How Can You Tell When Your Elderly Loved One Really Can’t Live on Her Own Any Longer? - May 12, 2017
- Four Age-related Vision Problems in Seniors - April 14, 2017
- 5 Things to Know About Occupational Therapy - April 7, 2017