Elderly Care in Chappaqua NY
As a family caregiver, one of the most important decisions that you can make is to start elderly care for your senior loved one. An elderly home care services provider can give your parent a personalized set of services tailored to addressing their individual needs, challenges, and limitations in a way that addresses their wishes, desires, opinions, and goals so that they can enjoy the highest quality of life possible as they age in place. If you are considering starting this type of care for your parent, evaluating the potential benefits and understanding how it can help your parent can help you to make the decision that is best for them.
One service that is particularly helpful for many older adults is assistance with grocery shopping. While this might seem like a mundane task to you, or something that you could just as easily do for your parent, empowering them to handle this errand on their own through the assistance of an elderly home care services provider can be a tremendous step in improving their quality of life throughout their later years.
Some of the ways that grocery shopping assistance from an elderly care provider can make a difference in your aging parent’s life include:
- Independence. Most elderly adults no longer drive, which limits their ability to manage their needs on their own. This can make your parent feel as though they are no longer independent or able to live the lifestyle that they want. A care provider, however, can provide safe and reliable transportation to help your parent get to the grocery store when they want and need to so that they do not have to always wait for you to come bring them or to do it for them, granting them a greater sense of control over their lives.
- Assistance during shopping. A modern grocery store can be an overwhelming place for an aging adult, especially one who is dealing with cognitive or physical challenges and limitations. A care provider can help your parent to navigate the store and select the foods that are right for them depending on their personal preferences as well as any guidelines or restrictions presented by their doctor. This can mean reading labels for them, helping them take products off of the shelf, or even reminding them of their guidelines and restriction throughout the shopping trip so that your parent can rethink items or make better choices.
- Help with unloading. Once your parent has finished grocery shopping, they will need to unload their groceries and put them away. A care provider can help them to keep their kitchen organized so that they are able to make the most of the food that they have purchased, preserving their budget and their health. This can even include helping them to accomplish certain preparation tasks in advance so that their groceries are easier to use, such as chopping vegetables, dividing large containers of meat into smaller packages, or filling canisters so that they are accessible.
If you or an aging loved one are looking for elderly care in Chappaqua, NY, call the friendly staff at The Perfect Home Care at (855) 855-5728. Call today!
- How Can You Tell When Your Elderly Loved One Really Can’t Live on Her Own Any Longer? - May 12, 2017
- Four Age-related Vision Problems in Seniors - April 14, 2017
- 5 Things to Know About Occupational Therapy - April 7, 2017